Granite kitchen is a hard stone used for dishes in kitchens and baths in public and private buildings and homes. It is a natural stone that is very attractive and lasts for many years if it is properly cared for. For all its attractiveness, however, there are some disadvantages of using granite for counters from a health and safety point of view. Granite benches are porous and can absorb liquids, just like cutting boards. It does not take long for bacteria to build up inside granite, which is a health hazard. Treat the cuttings every six months to a year with a food grade granite sealant so the surface resists absorbing liquids and fats. Fat stains a granite counter, and the ring or drip will not come out without the help of a granite repair specialist.
Glassware is easily broken on granite kitchen counters. The granite surface is extremely hard, making it a durable kitchen counter, but if you happen to drop plates or glasses on a granite counter, they will break or split, causing a risk to anyone in the kitchen, including pets.
Strong acids are common in the kitchen, like lemon juice, grapefruit juice, vinegar and even bleach. The acids etch granite counters, and if there is any calcite in the granite, it dissolves on contact with the acid. Another acid commonly used in rust is hydrofluoric acid (HF), which will also damage granite kitchen counter.